Sunday, March 24, 2013

Review: Clockwork Princess

*takes deep breath*  here we go.... MAJOR SPOILER ALERT. PROCEED ONLY IF YOU'VE FINISHED IT. 
Clockwork Princess
Cassandra Clare
EPICNESS

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING
A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.
Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.
As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

All right. I can do this. Right? 

So. After a surprisingly quick white night in which I cried and cried and cried, I finished this and was struck dumb until now. Well, actually, I think I'm still quite speechless. 

What are you supposed to say when an author you already knew is utterly feel-inducing goes all out and completely outdoes herself?? When she manages to give everyone exactly what they want but thought impossible (for Tessa to just be with both of them) but to break every reader's heart in the process? When she builds tension like a volcano waiting to erupt but then has one character deliver an epic-ly hysterical line that leaves you staring at the page, your face spreading into a slow smile thinking, 'I can't BELIEVE you just said that!!' When you're driven to a point where your like, 'I am NEVER reading a Cassie Clare book again' only to be taking that back the second you finish when you realize that even the ENDING OF THE SERIES is a cliffhanger (albeit carefully disguised- notice how Tessa doesn't dwell on Jem's new mortality in the epilogue. WE know he's referencing TMI {Fairchilds, Herondales, and Lightwoods? Ring a bell?}) and the only way to know what happens to him is to read City of Heavenly Fire- expected to be out ONLY NEXT MARCH. 

I don't know. What did you say? 

God. One thing I can say for sure is that almost halfway through,  I ceased to care about who Tessa would be with. Everyone vanished except WILL AND JEM. JEM AND WILL. All I wanted was for them to be together and happy, they just needed each other SO MUCH. Well, more Will needed Jem. If I have a complaint, it's that I didn't see Jem's need for Will as much as the other way around. I knew it existed, we were shown bits, but I wish the mutual dependency was clearer. But, BY THE ANGEL, I was so overwhelmed by their love. The things those two did and were willing to do for each other was astounding and and purely inspiring. They were more than parabatai- I mean, we never got that off Jace and Alec, now did we? True, in TMI their circumstances were less dire, but even in the few (barely existing) relaxed bits with Will and Jem their connection was evident. 

Let's rant talk about the ending till next week for a minute. 

WHAT THE HELL????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I----I--- WHY??????????????????????
Throw me out the window if you like, but in a way, I'd almost rather Jem had died. Because he kinda did. Instead of Jem there's this distant, changed Silent Brother based on what used to be James Carstairs. The farewell ALMOST KILLED ME. Once I got used to the idea though (after a few shell-shocked hours in which I lay on my bed and stared at the ceiling) I was happy he lived. As long as he lived. I was so devastated happy when I read the scene in which Jem performed the ceremony on Will and Tessa's son James. Gosh all the confusing emotions... 

And I know some people thought it was perfect how in 2008 Tessa will now be with Jem but to me it felt like Tessa loves two boys, but she's immortal so she's like ok, I'll be with you until you die while you *points at other boy* conveniently prolong your life for a century or two and then I'll be with you until you die, too. I KNOW IT WASN'T LIKE THAT. Please excuse my unromantic mind. Once again though, once I wrapped my head around it I realized how unique the situation was- It wasn't a COUPLE who found true love, rather a trio. Ok that's sound wrong. But like she says, to fully love one boy you have to love the other, cause while they are not the same, they are one. Also, Cassie Clare made a point on her tumblr. If one days, does it mean the one they love has to be alone forever now? Of course not, but it's hard not to be loyal to Jem (when she married Will) and to Will (when she got back together with Jem). 

OK, I could talk about this all day (I have yet to talk about Magnus, Jessmine, Mortmain, Charlotte, Consul Wayland, the Lightwoods, Cecily..... Maybe I'll continue tomorrow....). Please PLEASE do email me if you, too, are looking for someone to mull it all over with (boardingwithbooks@gmail.com). Grade: YA RIGHT. I CAN'T DECIDE IF I HATE THIS OR LOVE THIS, LET ALONE COME UP WITH A NUMBER
-Esty

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! This book was one heart wrenching scene after the other. I only wrote the review afterwards cause A. I kept crying every time I remembered what happened and B. I really needed a clearer heard to come up with writing something down xD

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3