Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review: Soul Control

Soul Control
C. Elizabeth
YA Fantasy

"Lead us not into temptation, deliver us from evil." These words ring true for seventeen-year-old Saydi Gardiner upon discovering her ancestry. But if she has any doubts, further confirmation is forthcoming and it comes in the form of a wickedly gorgeous Nathanael Braxton, when he steals her heart and cuddles into her sole - the last place the boy should be. Nineteen-year-old Nathanael's unrelenting good looks aren't the only thing that make him dangerous - and he knows it! However, his caring half-human self struggles with a loyalty - a loyalty that binds him to the hunt for the soul that will give his family the power they seek. There's only one problem: When he finds her, Nathanael falls in love with his prey - Saydi.

Hello everyone! Sorry about my absence, I was just finishing up this book. It was kinda long. Also, I have began Clockwork Princess and with difficulty peeled myself off for dance and this review. The fact that I have the presence of mind to do this is astounding if I do say so myself. Any emotional support you can give would be much appreciated- but don't spoil! 

Anyhoo, Soul Control. Like I said, it was long, and while no one likes a big book more than I, I did feel there was too much of stuff I didn't want, and too little of stuff I did. 

Basically, it's a war between gods and demons. I actually really liked the spin the author gave this tale, because I haven't really encountered a lovable demon character before, one who is almost human (well, half half) except maybe in Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and that was very different from this. However, I warn ista-love haters to beware, this might not be the book for you. (Personally, I was able to get over it for this one. Saydi and Nathanael's relationship grew on me) 

I wasn't a big fan of Saydi's, she accepted and forgave some things too easily in my opinion. Also, while I live off fantasy, I need it to be realistic- as in, her dad can't pop up after 17 years and Saydi and her mom are thrilled and after 1 day she's calling him Dad/Daddy.

Another thing that bothered me is that I didn't really understand the cause of the war. It was talked about a lot, but it just seemed to go over my head. Rondure? Catacomb? Spirit Light? Why? Granted, that may not have anything to do with the author's writing and more with my comprehension. Still, I wish it had been a little more clarified. 

But I must say I did like the cast. A lot of YA books tend to put the heroine's girlfriends aside because there so much going on around the boy/family/cause and I was glad to see Soul Control had Becky, Angie and Norma right along for the ride even if they didn't really understand what they were seeing. Also, their dynamic was realistic. Their fights, greetings, and conversations were like mine with my friends- typical teenage girls (`the family that just moved in has a boy? How old??? What did you say? He's hot?!').

 Back to the cast though, I wish we could have gotten more of Job and Joshua (Nathanael's triplet brothers) and the Magisters (I know, I know, and just when I'm reading Clockwork Princess too.... Don't worry, they aren't evil masterminds. Just Saydi's teachers:)) I felt like they have big personalities and great backstories we never got to feel. 

Another thing I liked was the fighting between Saydi and Nathanael. I always sided with Nathanael because he was really doing all he could and Saydi was being an ungrateful brat sometimes but I was like YES. YOU ARE A COUPLE. FIGHT. Sometimes I lose patience with all the lovey-dovey books that forget to show you that in the real world, people fight, but they learn to get over it. And I know it's fiction and fantasy and whatever, but a really good book is one that has you convinced that the supernatural world exists and incredible creature live among us. And how can you do that if the humans aren't acting human?? So kudos to Soul Control for that. 

And two more little things that made me happy- the Braxton's gentlemanly behavior and the Canadian setting. THANK YOU C. ELIZABETH!! Go Canada:))
Grade: 45%
-Esty 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3