Monday, April 8, 2013

Books for Holocaust Remembrance Day



Hi all!
I've been a little absent lately, lots of tests and school. But I'm still around! Tomorrow I'll be posting my review of Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult. But before that, I wanted to mention that today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. Now, in general I want my blog to be a happy place, but I felt that this day shouldn't be passed up in the book blogosphere especially when there are so many great books commemorating the victims. If you haven't read any of these, do so now. For your own education and book appreciation, but also to honor the 6 million Jews (and others) who perished in the hands of the Nazis, and not even long ago.

The Diary of Anne Frank
This one isn't really about the physical horrors of it. If you can't handle emotionally tough reads, go with the diary. Here is your average girl who flirts with boys, goes to movies, rides her bike, goes to school, fights with her mom. This is how her life was taken away from her, bit by bit. It's her real diary, translated from Dutch.










   The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I know a lot of people have read this one already. If you have, you know it's well worth it.



The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
If you already know about Auschwitz you'll be amazed by the literary genius of this book. The movie, too, is amazing.






The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
This one is told from the perspective of a child but is one of the harder ones (if my horror and shock as a child were any indication. Maybe it would be less traumatizing if I was to read it now). It's describes with detail life in the concentration camps. Well, "life" is a relative term when speaking of the Holocaust.





Night by Elie Wiesel
In truth, I have yet to read this one. From what I heard of it, I have decided to wait a few years. But naturally I know of Elie Wiesel (probably one of the most famous Holocaust survivors) and have read and studied his epic and true speech when he accepted his Nobel peace prize. (Google him. I'm serious) He has written many more books but this is his most well known. It's half fiction, half documentary of his own experiences.










Out of the Depths by Rabbi Lau
Another documentary of this extraordinary Rabbi's experiences as a little kid (!!) during the Nazi regime.


Anyway, it would mean a lot to me and to everyone in Israel if you read one of these. Also, if you've read a well-written and meaningful Holocaust/ World War II book that I haven't featured here let me know!
Esty


1 comment:

  1. I really love Holocaust books. (That sounds bad.) I mean to say that I really like to learn about that part in our history, especially when the fictional story is based on a true story. I really liked Night, you should check it out!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3