Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Review: Between the Lines

Between the Lines
Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer
YA fairytale

What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.


Ahh, Jodi Picoult. I'm sure you can understand when I say I had HIGH,  HIGH expectations for this book. When I saw it was YA and written with her daughter, I figured it would be different. When I read the back I realized it would be VERY different. Now that I'm finished I can say it was LIGHT YEARS AWAY from My Sister's Keeper and every other book of hers you might have read. 

Be honest.  Isn't the plot your biggest dream? Speak with your literary crush? Meet the knight in shining armor? KISS JACE LIGHTWOOD  YOUR BOOK BOYFRIEND? I was fascinated by the idea, and was sure it was going to be amazing. It wasn't. It wasn't bad though. Just cute. 

I liked having both Oliver's and Delilah's POV, and the bits of the fairy tale were great too. It was enjoyable read and worth the time. Personally, I could have done with an epilogue, but the ending was good on it's own. Oliver was a sweetheart and was swoon-worthy in a realistic-boy way and and Delilah was a nice character also. Recommended, but no need to jump it to the top of TBR list.  Grade: 50% 

I'm now rereading Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince and after will be starting Bossypants by Tina Fey. What about you?
Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3