Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian (spoiler free) + rant about spin-off series

Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)
Eoin Colfer
MG sci-fi/fantasy 

Seemingly nothing in this world daunts the young criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl. In the fairy world, however, there is a small thing that has gotten under his skin on more than one occasion: Opal Koboi. In "The Last Guardian," the evil pixie is wreaking havoc yet again. This time his arch rival has reanimated dead fairy warriors who were buried in the grounds of Fowl Manor. Their spirits have possessed Artemis's little brothers, making his siblings even more annoying than usual. The warriors don't seem to realize that the battle they were fighting when they died is long over. Artemis has until sunrise to get the spirits to vacate his brothers and go back into the earth where they belong. Can he count on a certain LEPrecon fairy to join him in what could well be his last stand? 
New York Times best-selling author and comic genius Eoin Colfer will leave Artemis Fowl fans gasping up to the very end of this thrilling finale to the blockbuster series.


I have reached the end of one of my all time favorite series: Artemis Fowl. What does this mean? The usual mixed feelings. The Last Guardian was amazing of course, and I expected no less, but, IT'S OVER?! WHYYYY. No more awesome out-of-the-blue seriously brilliant schemes from Artemis? No more kick-ass moves from Holly? No more hilarious lines and top-notch technology from Foaly? I could go on and on. But alas, all good things come to an end. 

Except that this series has a perfect setting for a spin-off, and is the first one I actually WANT a spin-off for. Usually I feel with spin-offs that the author is trying to stretch out the success of the first series, therefore making up problems that weren't originally intended. Take The Mortal Instruments for example: At the end of City of Glass, all the enemies are dead, problems solved, everything's good. Then Cassie Clare decides to continue and BOOM, Sebastian's back from the dead, his 'mother' Lilith shows up, suddenly there's 'dark' and 'light' and apparently Jace is not actually ok. Same with Heroes of Olympus, even if it's better done than TMI because of the prophecy appearing before in The Last Olympian. 

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE AFOREMENTIONED SPIN-OFFS.  I read them religiously because I miss the world and my favorite characters, and I'll devour anything with them in it, which was no doubt the author's and publisher's intent. But that's exactly why they still bother me- because they're meant to sell. (at least, that's what it looks like to me. I'm not stating a fact) Unlike the original series, which the author wrote because he/she wanted to, and they loved their story. Unplanned continuations just don't  feel as genuine. 

HOWEVER

ARTEMIS FOWL JUST NEEDS A SPIN-OFF SERIES. ONE THAT FOLLOWS THE ADVENTURES OF MYLES AND BECKETT ACCOMPANIED BY JULIET BUTLER. IT WOULD BE BRILLIANT. 

*end rant* *huffs* 

Anyway, the journey isn't actually over for me. Apparently I accidentally skipped The Atlantis Complex (a previous book). Yes. I am ashamed. 

What can I say? If you have read this book, you know the end is like OH MY GOD WHAT. NO. HE DIDN'T JUST GO THERE. NO WAY DID EOIN COLFER JUST GO THERE. GOOD LORD HE JUST WENT THERE. 
and then- AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH OMG YOU BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BOY. (for the record,  I am proud to say I saw that last bit coming:))

If you haven't, go pick up Artemis Fowl now. Artemis, Holly, Butler, Foaly, Mulch and the others will become the new obsessions of your literary lives. Rating: 4 stars just because it wasn't as omg-I'm-gonna-die  funny throughout the whole book like the other ones were.


What are your thoughts about spin-offs? Let me know! Hoping those of you at BEA and armchair BEA are having tons of fun!!
Love,
Esty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3