Monday, September 30, 2013

Review: At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks

At First SightAt First Sight
Nicholas Sparks
Adult contemporary romance

There are a few things Jeremy Marsh was sure he’d never do: he’d never leave New York City; never give his heart away after barely surviving one failed marriage; and never become a parent. Now Jeremy is living in the tiny town of Boone Creek, North Carolina, engaged to Lexie Darnell, the love of his life, and anticipating the start of their family. But just as his life seems to be settling into a blissful pattern, a mysterious and disturbing e-mail sets off a chain of events that will change the course of this young couple’s relationship. 

In comparison to the likes of The Notebook and Dear John, At First Sight wasn't one of Nicholas Sparks' masterpieces. I went through most of the book without being emotional and was starting to think the unbelievable- that Mr. Sparks had written a not-so-great novel. 

Needless to say, he got the last laugh. 

I was really heartbroken and heartwarmed by the time I reached the end - the usual with his books. I've read about 5 of them and they've all made me cry. I will never doubt him again. 

However, I stand by my first sentence- it wasn't one of his masterpieces. I say so because I did not love any of the characters (though I understand that there is another book that journals the beginning of Lexie and Jeremy's relationship- maybe reading that would've helped, but it stands on it's own therefore I'm judging it on it's own), nor was the plot anything amazing. Also, the love wasn't palpable to me- they SAID they loved each other but I didn't feel that much through the story. It was definitely there by the end, though. I just wish it would've been throughout the whole book too.

The end. Sigh. I cried. It was sad, but hopeful and sweet. By then I loved Jeremy and was feeling the love from the story as well. And I admit- this was the first book by this author in which the end completely threw me! I did not see that coming at all and was totally shocked (as opposed to not seeing something coming but when it does being like, 'Oh. That makes  sense' ). It gave the story a whole new purpose and I loved that aspect of it despite the tears.

  If you have yet to try out his work, I'd recommend you start with A Walk to Remember, or one of the other ones they made movies out of. They chose his bests for those.  But of course, Nicholas Sparks' writing is uncontested and in that this book was not lacking. 

Rating: 3.5 stars (I will make a half star. I will. Really)


Guess who got internet back?? MEEEE. I've missed you guys! Soon I'll be doing a post showing you all the books I've received over the last two weeks and I'm almost caught up on reviews(: Stay tuned and comment a lot!
Love,
Esty

1 comment:

  1. I've never read anything by this author. Just haven't been appealed to. But his books does sound good and this doesn't seem too bad. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3