Sunday, November 3, 2013

Review: House of Hades

The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus #4)
Rick Riordan
Middle Grade Adventure, Greek Mythology

At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?

They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.


Usually I try to keep my blog spoiler free, because in my opinion if you can't read the review because you haven't read the book than what help am I? I want to help you choose your books. The exceptions are novels like Clockwork Princess and this, about which nothing can be said about the writing, character development, pacing, or feeling, because all that is obviously completely flawless. No, this won't be much of a review- more a rant discussion of the actual events. So, if you haven't read it, GET OFF YOUR DEVICE AND READ IT. If you have, please comment and help me sort through my feelings.

SPOILERS START HERE


OK, NICO IS GAY?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTT OMG.
I think my shock has less to do with the fact that he is gay rather than the fact that Rick Riordan put a gay character in his book. For a long time we've been trying to figure out what Nico's deal is, and while I had a lot of theories, I didn't think in that direction AT ALL. You just don't expect to encounter homosexuality in a kid's book! But when I got over the original heart attack, I appreciated what Riordan did there. He writes his books for kids, not white straight kids. If all his characters were what is considered default than in a way he'd be adding to the discrimination people face today.  In addition, I'd like to give him credit for not actually using the words 'gay' or 'homosexual' or 'attracted to boys'. It makes it not a political issue, rather a difference- and the kids read and are like, 'ok, Nico had a crush on Percy. That makes him different' . What a subtle and brilliant way to promote acceptance. Also, notice how the new series features Hazel- who is black, Frank- who is Chinese, and Leo- who is Hispanic. Refreshing. 

Guys: I FINALLY began to like Jason. Up until now he was given all the respect afforded to Percy but the readers didn't know him or love him, so it was like, STOP BEING AN EQUAL TO PERCY. I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU DO ANYTHING YET.  But in this book you do. He really becomes a leader- gets to know his team, relents when needed. I STILL think Piper is useless, though. Sue me. 

Me-when-I-found-out-Coach-Hedge-is-having-a-baby (it was obvious in the beginning if you've ever had a little sibling): AHAHAHAHAHA OMG EEEEEEHHHH

LEO AND CALYPSO- one word:FEEEELS
More than one word: I genuinely missed Calypso! It was such a disconnected incident in The Battle of Labyrinth (right  book?) that I didn't think about her very much after. I am so happy Leo found her- he deserves her the most. 

Dear Rick Riordan,
Can we get some Grover, Tyson, Thalia, Chiron or Rachel please? Or at least some more Reyna.
Sincerely,
Where-have-all-my-awesome-people-gone

PERCABETH
WOAH. I knew they would come out changed and a little scarred. It was kinda a beautiful process, actually. Also, it was nice to see them grow up and start planning their future, if a little heartbreaking. 
And the big surprise? We see an almost fatal mistake of Percy's-forgetting about Bob and Calypso. It showed that even the good guys can make bad mistakes. It was a little shocking, having worshipped Percy all my life, but a good wake up call. Nobody is perfect. Not even close.

Last two things: Anyone else catch the dedication? *gnashes teeth and growls*
THE TITLE OF BOOK FIVE: THE BLOOD OF OLYMPUS. MAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL.

How will I live after next fall?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3