Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mini Review: The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street
The House on Mango Street
Sandra Cisneros
Latino Classics

Told in a series of vignettes stunning for their eloquence, this memoir is Sandra Cisneros's greatly admired story of a young girl's growing up in the Latino section of Chicago.

I AM NOT against classics. Really. I just read A Separate Peace and loved it, right? Click on the classics label. But what can I say? This one just flopped for me. Honestly, I couldn't see what the big deal was.

It was told in little, disconnected anecdotes about a page and a half long. In truth, it was all the kept me reading. The fact that it was a new story each time. Unfortunately, that means even the good ones were over before you know it.


I was hoping I'd get to read about the rich Latina culture, but it wasn't the case. The book follows the different people who live on Mango Street. Each one is highlighted in a little scene that reflects who they are. Interesting as that was, a collection of annoyingly dialogue-less scenes is not enough to keep a 21st century teenager engaged, sorry.

Rating:

So yesterday was my first blogoversary, everyone! I can't host anything special right now, but hopefully soon! Love you all and thanks for reading!
Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3