Saturday, October 24, 2015

Review: Prodigy

Prodigy (Legend, #2)Prodigy (Legend #2)
Marie Lu
Dystopia 

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector. It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. 
But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

You can read my review of Legend here. 

After Legend's promising start, I had high hopes for Prodigy. I'll say I really enjoyed reading it- I was totally sucked in. However, it didn't totally blow my mind with it's originality like the first installment. 

The whole joining-the-rebellion-only-to-find-out-the-rebellion-is-corrupt-too is a staple in the genre. (By corrupt I just mean not the utopia the heroes imagined) The best-friend-and-constant-companion-turned-love-interest is also something we see in every other YA read. Also, I-didn't-tell-you-so-as-not-to-hurt-you. Also, trust issues. You know the drill.

So yeah, all our favorite overdone cliches were there. Despite all that, there were lots of twist and surprises that kept me hooked. Tess experiences growing up, and she gets some well-deserved attention in Prodigy. June, I learned, IS ACTUALLY 15 despite sounding 30 in her head. Day and June both utilize their smarts and strengths in this novel, making it a fun read. Anden being profoundly different from what everyone expects serves as a nice little moral hidden here, too. 

I also liked the problem solving skills that our MCs show off. Instead of the typical 100 pages of everyone being mad at each other and doing stupid things because of a misunderstanding, Day and June talk things out after they fight and take leaps of faith for each other. They both earned my respect and saved the pages of the book for the real interesting stuff. If in the previous book I wasn't all over the relationship, I'm totally rooting for it now.

As for the ending - I rolled my eyes and grunted in annoyance but I am salivating for Champion. Rating: 5 stars

Happy reading!
Love,
Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3